Thursday, November 2, 2017

Solo Hiking and Painting Trip to Utah, Kolob Canyon in Zion National Park and Arches National Park Colorado River too

Flying Solo

The book, Wild, by Cheryl Strayed, was a fantastic read.  The author set out to hike the Pacific Crest Trail all by herself, and for an extended period of time. 
I also enjoyed Elizabeth Berg’s, The Pull of the Moon. In this fictional story a middle aged woman with a nagging husband goes on an extended road trip for fun, and to teach the crank not to take her for granted.

Such a romantic notion, to go off somewhere all alone.  

Reflections, 8x10 pastel


I recently had my own little solo adventure.  Mini-adventure, anyway.  I packed up paints and suitcase and drove my (still) trusty ole yellow jeep to Zion National Park for 4 days.  I felt brave, daring.  It felt romantic.  ( ok, fine, it was only 4 short days and a days drive away, but go with me here, please).   My goal was to do some hiking and painting and get some nice reference photos.  There was a particular scene I wanted to find and paint in Kolob Canyon, which is the much quieter, less busy part of Zion. I hiked 10 miles the first day and got no painting whatsoever done. I did find though, finally, the very spot I’d wanted to see and photograph that evening.  Glorious, and worth every bit of the long 12 hour drive to get there.  ( should’ve been 9 hours but I kept stopping for photographs)

Sunset in Kolob Canyon, 9x12 pastel

Taylor Creek Trail, 12x9 pastel


The next day I drove to Arches National Park and did another 6 mile hike.  I was on Primitive Loop and got a bit lost a few times.  The trail is not well marked in spots and some areas had quite a bit of exposure. This added to the thrill and romance of my trip.
Still and again, I did no painting.  An awful guilt sets in when I pack my paints but leave them untouched.

Arches National Park, 9x12 pastel



The lovely Colorado River (actually, lovely gets upgraded to breathtaking at the peak of autumn,  which I was lucky enough to hit  this year!) hugs I-70 for a good portion of this trip and time and again I would see THE scene I’ve so many times wanted to stop and paint. Each time though there was nowhere to pull over.  How frustrating this is for an artist. I pulled over anyway one time and risked life and limb to cross the interstate to get photos.  ( not romantic; just stupid- and I wont do that again.)

Colorado River 9x12 pastel

I spent some time in Cedar City, Palisade and Rifle and got a nice collection of reference photos from which these paintings have come.


This was a fun and enjoyable trip and I would like do a longer one sometime.  I do enjoy painting trips with friends as well, and tend to get more painting done in that scenario.

No comments:

Post a Comment